Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Thanks Dr. Oz!

I've been in a slump the last few days... this past weekend there was a cupcake festival a few towns over.  No problem... I can handle this (so says I).  However, despite my mental insistence to myself that I would be able to behave, one day turned into more like a full weekend and the week following of a cupcake extravaganza.  Mind you... I have a sweet tooth.  While I try to deny it, I'm just as bad as Hyperbole and a Half's author considering her portrayal of her child self
Yes ladies and gentleman, I have little to no control once I get a taste of the sweet stuff.  Try as I might to stuff myself with veggies and fruit and anything but the one thing that I have set my mind on, there will continue to be just enough of a hole waiting to be filled with a sweet confection until I give in.

I was good on Saturday... I ate two cupcakes while attending the event and that was it for the day!  Yeah, go me! 

However, not only did the cupcake festival happen to be on Saturday, there happened to be a birthday party, also.  Fine, says I, I can handle this as well! Nope... not a chance in hell. Once I arrived there, fueled by only sugar, my defenses apparently were knocked the hell down and I happily ate a hamburger, a piece of cake, multiple wedges of cheese and crackers, and some kind of cheesy-chicken sausage.  "I'll be fine," I thought to myself when I left, "I'll hop right back on the bandwagon tomorrow and get back into the swing of things."  Typically this is the case... if I fall off on the weekends from time to time, I am able to kick my behind right back into diet and healthy food mode during the week. 

Cupcakes, however, are tempting treats to keep lying around in the house... even in the freezer.  Nothing will deter the wrath of my sugar cravings.  Not even freezer burn. 

I have frequently been making the mistake of not drinking enough water during the week and found on all three days this week that I am starving when I get home.  Yet, I've had enough to eat throughout the morning.  Instead of stopping to actually wonder if I've had enough to drink during the day, I instead have scanned the contents of the pantry and fridge, found it all to be insufficient despite being bought just a few days prior, until I hear the rumble of my tummy seemingly calling out the desire for a cupcake. 

As it is now Wednesday I confess that I've had a grand total of 8 cupcakes this week.  Hello all time low for my sugar binge since I've gotten on my health kick.  I tried to be good and shove the cupcakes all away with the rationale that I was going to share the cool and exotic ones with my boyfriend this upcoming weekend.  Sorry sweetie... looks like ego doesn't give a fig about sharing when it comes to cupcakes.

To make matters worse, I'm not much of a starch eater.  I  don't eat much gluten heavy foods, starches, super sugary foods, or red meat.  I at least avoided one of those things this week :D

I've consistently made myself smoothies, which is good.  I've been getting in my veggie and fruit content that I like and at least have not abandoned all hope for the week thus far to the notion of 'Oh well I cheated so I might as well continue to cheat the rest of the week and get back on track next week' ... I have done that way too often in the past.  I've packed myself my quinoa bars to snack on and protein and veggie packed lunches with some kale chips to try and hold me over until I get home.  However, I'm slacked in the prepping food department this week and the cupcake monster that took over my body took full advantage of that. 

I'm Thanking Dr. Oz because one of the smoothies that I'm having today is for dinner (not a typical thing for me) after going to the gym. 

It's got a mix of:
1 cup cherry juice
1/2 a banana
1/2 cup soy milk (I prefer almond milk)
5 ice cubes
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

The smoothie turned out pretty good.  I don't think it's my favorite, but the sweet helps to take the edge off of all the sugar I've been pumping myself with so far this week.  We won't mention that I bought doughnuts for kids I was working with this week and partook of those, as well. 

While I'm not super happy with myself and how I've overindulged this week, I'm glad to know that I am keeping consistent with some things, like still packing myself a healthy lunch and making sure that I eat a healthy dinner and don't start scavenging the menus in the apartment for some kind of pizza or Chinese food to order. 

Tomorrow will be better.  I'm planning on going to the gym with my day off and being fully back on track my next week.  Taking it a day at a time, woohoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment